Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Peanut Butter Pie

Being informed I had to make dessert for 12 people on Friday afternoon left me worried that one dessert wouldn't be enough. So, I decided to make a second dessert that I'd found the recipe for in my mom's [junk] drawer which also happens to contain recipes.  

The ingredients are relatively simple and straightforward.
  • 1 cup of creamy Peanut Butter (Peter Pan is the only acceptable kind at my house!)
  • 1 8oz container of Cream Cheese
  • 1 8oz container of Cool Whip
  • 1 1/4 cup of Confectioner's Sugar
  • 4 tablespoons of butter
  • 25 Oreo cookies


First, you want to make the Oreo crust. To do this, you put the Oreos into a food processor and let it grind them into a fine crumble....of course, this is the easy way to do it.  When I called my momma to question her as to where our food processor was, she told me we didn't have one. WHAT? She and my dad have been married for 34 years and they don't have a food processor? Okay, well then Momma, where is the blender (thinking I could break them up that way...) to which I am informed that she dropped her 34 year old blender and it is no longer working/living in our kitchen.  So I regrouped and put the Oreos in a big Ziploc bag and beat them to a pulp with a rolling pin.  Once the Oreos are crumbly and small with the icing invisible, put the crumbs into a mixing bowl and add in 4 tbsp of melted butter.  Then press the mixture into a 9inch pie dish to form your crust (bake at 350 for around 5 minutes).


To make the filling, put 1 cup of peanut butter into a large mixing bowl along with the cream cheese and beat it with a mixer until its somewhat smooth.  Then add the Confectioner's Sugar and mix that together. Finally you add the Cool Whip (not frozen) and mix it all together until the consistency/color is the same throughout.  Pour the filling into the cooled pie crust and place it in the refrigerator to set. The recipe says to let it set for at least an hour, but mine sat overnight and set up beautifully! 


I liked the pie (to be honest though, the crust was my favorite part), but it was very rich.  The recipe says it serves around six people, but with how rich the pie is it could easily be served in smaller pieces and everyone would still get their sweet fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment